Home

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creamy Mushroom Risotto

Ah...risotto.  The thought of trying to make risotto has always intimidated me for some reason.  So many times I have heard how difficult it is to make, how time consuming it is, and so on.

I have had a jar of arborio rice (this is the type of rice that is used to make risotto) sitting in my cubbard for longer then I am willing to admit.   I purchased it many months ago with the very brave intentions of making a fabulous risotto for me and my husband.  Every time I opened the cabinet door, there it was, calling out to me.  "Sarah...please try me...do not be afraid Sarah...you can do it"

So I did.  And the results were nothing short of  impressive.  While it certainly was time consuming, I would not call it difficult.  I cant wait to make it again!

INGREDIENTS:

4 tbsp butter
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, cut into half inch pieces
2/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
7 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 3/4 cups arborio rice
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:

Melt half the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms and saute about 4-5 minutes.  Add white wine and bring to a boil.  Allow liquid to reduce by about half, about 3 minutes.  Lower heat to medium and allow to simmer5 minutes.  Remove skillet from heat and set aside.

Bring stock to a simmer in a deep pot.  In a deep saucepan, heat oil and remaining butter on medium-low heat.  add shallots and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.  add rice and stir to coat.  Add hot stock, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until stock is mostly absorbed into rice before you add another 1/2 cup.  Continue this process until all stock is used (this will take about 25 minutes).  When done rice should be slightly chewy.

Stir in the mushroom mixture and the Parmesan cheese.  Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment