Home

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

So, I roasted a chicken on Sunday night (only the second time I have attempted such a feat).  The chicken turned out marvelous but the hour long process was extremely nerve racking!  The butter in the bottom of the roasting pan kept sizzling and smoking, causing havoc with the smoke detector in my kitchen!  My husband laughed at me as I stood by the stove with our fire extinguisher ready in case my stove caught fire!  Needless to say it did not, and actually the chicken was delicious.  Anyhow, I had tons of chicken left over (my husband and I are a small family of two) and decided to attempt chicken noodle soup with the left overs.  I found this very tasty recipe in "Anyone Can Cook". It is very basic, I added some extra oomph for flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
  • 1 cup chopped carrots (about 3 med. carrots)
  • 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups wide egg noodles
  • salt to taste (the recipe did not call for salt, but I added it for more flavor)

Directions:

Place carrots, celery, onion, and chicken broth in large pot.  Add oregano, bay leaves, and pepper and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover, simmer for about 5 minutes.  Add the egg noddles and bring back to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer until noodles are done, about 8-10 minutes.  Add chicken and cook until heated through, about another 5-6 minutes.  Ladle and serve.  Serves about 4 main dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment