Home

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cheesy Potato Gratin


So as I started this entry, I asked my husband how "potatoes" is spelled.  He said  it is spelled
p-o-t-a-t-o-s.  As I was typing it out, I realized it didnt look right to me...so I asked him if he was sure. 

He insisted this spelling was correct.

We talked about the Dan Quale incident where he misspelled "potatoes" at a spelling bee and my husband laughed about the fact that the vice president could not spell a word as simple as
p-o-t-a-t-o-s.  I asked again if he was sure.

He continued to insist.

When I question him one last time, he began to feel the need to prove it to me.  So he goes into the kitchen and gets a bag of potatoes.  He reads the front of the bag. 

"Oh crap...you were right...its spelled p-o-t-a-t-o-e-s"

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 cups sliced)
1/3 cup sliced green onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 cup whipping cream

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 2 quart square baking dish.  Wash the potatoes thoroughly and slice into thin slices (no need to peel the potatoes).  Layer half the potatoes in the baking dish and cover with half the salt, pepper, garlic and onions and cheese.  Repeat layer and pour whipping cream over top.  Cover and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Uncover and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment